There is a lot of information out there! If you go and look for it! And then you have to decide which you want to adopt as your own. Of course I’m not a mom, but I am a designer and knowing the ins and outs of a nursery are fully within my range. What have I learned new from this recent sojourn into mommy/baby land?
1. Working with a neutral color is smart.
2. Deciding on a theme is fun. See Cowboy below.
3. Babies are best when surrounded by mommies skin, warmth and love.
4. Keeping a storage unit or table top near mommies rocking chair is very efficient.
Where to Go for Safety Standards:
5. There are lots of safety standards available and we should be aware of them and implement them.
a. United States Consumer Product Safety Commission USCPSC
b. ASTM The American Society for Testing and Materials ASTM
c. AAP American Association of Pediatrics AAP
6. Keep bedding very snug. Nothing extra in the crib. Many experts even recommend sleep sacks or wearable blankets.
7. Finally and not least in any way, some experts recommend that babies not even sleep in ‘their own room’ for the first twelve months. The same as the sleep sacks for the first twelve months. Incredible. Take care of those we love.